About Me

New England, United States
I'm a RN who is trying to leave the profession but have been told I must recruit a replacement first. Any takers? When I'm not trying to fix the health care system, I write mysteries that are set in health care settings. Doctors and nurses are smart, persistent and adapt well to uncertainty. This makes them excellent serial killers. Contact me at renee.e.maynes@gmail.com

Friday, October 12, 2012

The Politics of Healthcare, Post Debate Edition

First off, I have no issue with anyone who uses their faith to inform their personal life and decisions. I do it. I believe you should, too.

Paul Ryan's faith believes life begins at conception, therefore abortion is murder. But, if we're going to allow religious faith to play a role in healthcare, let's consider all religions and their beliefs.

Jehovah's Witnesses can legislate against blood transfusions.

Christian Scientists can legislate for prayer instead of medical treatment.

Scientologists can legislate for introspection rundowns instead of antidepressants.

The bottom line is every religion has traditions and prohibitions that impact the healthcare experience of their followers. These items don't need to be legislated, they are a choice. The Catholic Church and Paul Ryan has no more business making my healthcare choices than my employer does.

Wait. Ryan and the faithful believe that employers should be able to financially restrict an employee's access to birth control, sterilization, and abortion in the name of religious freedom. Guess religious freedom means religious employers can make the decisions usually best left to a patient and doctor. Today, birth control and sterilization; tomorrow, restrictions on blood transfusions or psychiatric care?

Because if we want to allow faith to legislate healthcare, let's not stop with the Catholic Church's agenda. Let's champion the beliefs of all religions. Sounds good, doesn't it?

But, taking away healthcare choice from the individual and investing it in the hands of a religious organization is akin to setting up "death panels," except instead of deciding if an individual is worthy of medical resources, these panels would decide what medical resources are worthy of being used.

As much as I believe in religious freedom, I don't think your faith should impact my ability to access medical care and procedures. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment